United Aftermath Tour for Feb/March is done!

The first Aftermath Tour for 2011 is all said and done and although tiring, was a great tour all in all. Mid America Sound once again provided all production aside from Video which came from Big Picture. For Audio on this run we flew L’Acoustics K1, with dV-Dosc downfill & flown Kudo side fill. A combination of dV-Dosc and Arc provided the near fill coverage depending on the venue. In some of the smaller theaters Kudo was used as mains.

Inputs were bumped up significantly on this tour reaching 72, due to the extra instrumentation required to create some of the feel of the new tracks from Aftermath. This was handled at FOH by the Avid Profile and at monitors by the Midas Pro 9.

..Hopefully the photos to follow tell the rest of the story..

A big thanks to all of you that came out and said hello on this tour.. Again a massive thanks to Mid America Sound and of course our fearless production leader Steve Pippett. As always it is a pleasure to work with Brad Law from Cuepoint Productions, Ian Hendrick, Nick Chislett and two new additions on this tour, Ricki Cook and Marcus Beaumont. Love your work boys..

..Massive thanks to Dan Han for Lovisa Han Photography for the photos from the Staples Center in LA and Sidney Helou for addition photography..

JimmyRudder - May 11, 2013 - 12:18 pm

Hey Flo,
Yes you are correct, that is why we use the Radials. J

Flo - May 10, 2013 - 5:18 pm

Did you guys use the Radial SGI’s on the electric guitars? Are you using them keep the buzz away over longer cabel distances or why did you use them? Thanks.

Blake Harlan - March 9, 2012 - 2:16 am

Hey James. I just have to say you are probably my favorite FOH man ever! I am constantly amazed at how good 4 guitars, 8 vocalists, various percussion instruments, etc. can sound so good all mixed together! I have one teeny question for you right now… What does a guy have to do to get his hands on an AFTERMATH Rider/Prod Specs? :)

Karen Reyes - March 1, 2012 - 12:48 pm

What kind of mics do you guys use to record the crowd?

JimmyRudder - February 17, 2012 - 3:47 pm

Hey Rod, They were 20 and 22 inches.

Rod - February 15, 2012 - 12:55 pm

And about the crash’s???
It’s 2 crash’s k-Custom Dark, and i really want to know the size them???!!!

John Peter - January 13, 2012 - 12:50 pm

Do you happen to remember the bass drums size for the dw set? thank you!

JimmyRudder - October 17, 2011 - 5:53 pm

Hey Phil..
We travel with and use the SKM 935 G3 from Sennheiser. I wont write too much as it will end up the never ending can of worms debating which is best, but I will say they are very workable for us in the application for which we use them. At the top end of the wireless market there are a few brands which are competitive and do a lot of the same technical things well..it all comes down to personal taste and application in the end. Sorry for being vague but do a search for “sennheiser vs shure” if you would like some real conflict;)

JimmyRudder - October 17, 2011 - 5:35 pm

Hey Rolland,
We did a little experimenting on this trip but all were Remo.

JimmyRudder - October 17, 2011 - 5:25 pm

Hey Daniel,
If you were looking at the far right rack then most likely the Dolby Lake processors.

JimmyRudder - October 17, 2011 - 5:19 pm

Cody,
I believe they are tungsten zip strips.

Webby - October 16, 2011 - 10:58 pm

Whenever i am in need of an audio engineer (Live or Studio) I go straight to the http://www.jamesrudder.com
You should do the same !!!
(well if your reading this then i guess you are, good… continue)

Webby
P.S. Great job on the website Jimmy.

Cody - September 12, 2011 - 1:20 pm

I loved that strip of all the small bulbs behind the band…what exactly is that called? Thanks!

Daniel - August 30, 2011 - 5:10 pm

Then what was those things with blue light in your rack in Jacksonville? thx

JimmyRudder - August 29, 2011 - 1:41 pm

Hey Daniel, We use the Midas Pro 9 and its DL431 pres.

Jeff - August 20, 2011 - 11:52 am

The tour in philly was amazing, I got a chance to work for Hillsong I had a good time. The lights were crazy, I couldnt really get a chance to talk to Ian all like I wanted to, I was wondering there a was a way I could contact him like FB, Twitter Email Etc

Daniel - August 17, 2011 - 10:33 pm

Hey! What preamps do you use for vocals? in live shows..

Victor - August 16, 2011 - 12:13 pm

Hey James,

I was at the Grand Rapids Hillsong show. You guys did a great job. Mix sounded great.

Rolland - August 15, 2011 - 9:13 am

Hey there! I was wondering what drumheads Simon Kobler used for the Aftermath tour, they sounded awesome :)

PHIL - July 20, 2011 - 2:52 am

What vocal microphones did you use on this tour and why did you chose them? Interesting to know why people choose microphones these days, wether it’s just what is available or because it’s what works/sounds best

JimmyRudder - July 16, 2011 - 2:55 pm

Hey Blanca!

Joels keyboard is the Micro Korg.. Dylans is the Nord wave and Petes gear is all electronic..the gutted upright is purely for looks!

Cheers,

J

JimmyRudder - July 16, 2011 - 2:45 pm

Hey Ryan..

Thanks for writing.. The tom mics are the Sennheiser 904’s and each stand up light was 3x Barco ‘MiStrip’ bolted together, driven from a Coolux ‘Pandora’s Box’ media server…

Cheers,

James

Ryan - July 13, 2011 - 1:40 pm

Hey man, amazing tour by the way, saw the show in Dallas and just recently in Tulsa! I had a few questions on the gear they used on this tour, do you happen to know what Tom mics they used on kobes kit? And also I was wondering what the stand up vertical lights on the stage where? They did a lot of awesome stuff and we are looking at getting something like that at my local church.

Thanks for the help!
God Bless,
Ryan

Blanca Rose - July 7, 2011 - 7:33 pm

Hi James!

I was at the UNITED concert in Indy & your mixing skills are phenomenal!
I’m hoping you can answer a few of my keys questions….

1.) Do you know what type of keyboard the red one is that Joel plays? It looks like some type of Nord?

2.) Does Dylan play a Nord stage?

3.) How do you mic Peter’s gear since he’s got a mixture of upright pianos + keyboards + macbooks?

Thanks so much for your time!!

JimmyRudder - June 9, 2011 - 12:47 pm

Thanks for the question. Dylan uses Fender Blues Deville/Hotrod Deville or Twin Reverb. TImon uses a Matchless DC30 or a JCM800 with 1960A cab.

Dario - June 5, 2011 - 3:50 am

hello james,

i have a question about Timon’s and Dylan’s gear:
which amps do they use and which guitars do they have?
thanks for reply and doing such a great work!
be blessed,

Dario.

Taylor Anderson - June 2, 2011 - 3:20 pm

Thanks for these post as always! I am really wanting to get in contact with Ian Hendrick over some fixtures they used on the Beautiful Exchange tour DVD within the “Our God is Love” song/set in the theater? Any help with this would be awesome. Thanks again for your blog! Great stuff.

JimmyRudder - April 29, 2011 - 11:42 am

Hey Moises.. Sorry for the late reply on this! Here is the list the Simon Kobler used! 17″ k custom dark crash+light crash for hats, 22″ k light ride, 22″ k dark custom ride, 22″ k custom ride. Hope that helps..

JimmyRudder - April 26, 2011 - 2:28 pm

Hey Jake..

It was a Vox AC15 if I recall correctly.. Thanks for commenting!

Moises Pimentel - April 9, 2011 - 5:52 pm

Hey James, we met on the Hillsong Live tour while you were in City of Grace Church in Mesa, Az. (Doubt you’ll remember that one…) But anyways! I was going to ask if you knew what cymbals “Kobes” was using on the Aftermath Tour? The sound mix of the drums was awesome. I enjoyed the sound the cymbals were giving and was curious to what he was using. I’ll await your reply! Thanks.

P.S.
Amazing job on the Aftermath album.

Wanderson - April 1, 2011 - 2:44 pm

Hello Brother!Peace and love
I am from Brasil and I want pictures of Hillsong united,or your pictures,They are very beautiful!
Bye
God bless you

Jake - March 25, 2011 - 7:40 pm

Can you tell me what amp joel was using and what mic you used for it? awesome tour man, sound was beast..

JimmyRudder - March 18, 2011 - 8:57 am

Ha! Yeah yeah.. 😉 It is I who am a big fan of yours.. http://www.trickiricki.com

Ricki - March 16, 2011 - 6:36 pm

Is there an official James Rudder fan club? If so, how do I join? If not, may I start one?

dan - March 15, 2011 - 12:05 am

respect!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *